Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Letter 02-24-14

Dear Everybody!!
My mom sent me this in her email to me this week and I want to show it to all of you! (My comments are directed towards Latter-Day Saint Members specifically.)
   
Thought for the day - 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people".  We are a covenant people and great are the obligations which go with that covenant.  We cannot be ordinary people.  We must rise above the crowd.  We must stand a little taller.  We must be a little better, a little kinder, a little more generous, a little more courteous, a little more thoughtful, a little more outreaching to others.
I love that! We are a peculiar people! Sometimes I think we fall into the trap of wanting the unique blessings the Gospel has to offer, while still wanting to be "normal". We don't want to stand out, we don't want to be weird, we don't want to disregard the social norm. Well guess what? We don't have that right. We are a "peculiar people". Now I'm not saying we need flaunt ourselves. Pride was never meant to be in the equation. I am asking everyone to think about themselves and to consider whether or not we, through our everyday actions, show that we are ashamed of the Lord our God. Do we remain firmly and lovingly loyal to the Jesus Christ who has gathered us as his own? Do we awkwardly mumble answers to those who ask us "Wait, you're Mormon?", do we feel we have to toe the modesty line to be attractive, do we feel we need to compromise to be acceptable? We do not have to. Standing up for what we believe--loyaly, RESPECTFULLY, gently, and WITH OUR TESTIMONY--is not wrong. Using pride, overbearing words, or in any way acting like we are better IS wrong however. We are blessed. Period. Everyone who wants to reach for it may be a member of our church and share in everything we have. We can show love. We can share our testimony, and we can show humble thanks to God for making us a peculiar people.
This is my personal testimony. (I wrote it fast so if I need to rephrase things, expect that next week please.)

Love,
Sister Short

No comments:

Post a Comment