Monday, July 21, 2014

Letter 7/20/14

Ok, so fun story! I just go transferred to Sugar Creek ward. It is in Arkansas still, but just barely. The Lord has been really very kind to me. Want to know why? Because I am a part of a Bentonville ward. Bentonville is nicknamed "mini Provo" because of the high (relatively) population of LDS people here. So basically, what happens is Walmart recruits students from BYU (accountants for example) and lots of them come to work here because Walmart headquarters is here. Literally when you go to church you feel like you're back in Utah. But the nice thing is that there are a lot of non-members around too so the ward is REALLY missionary-minded and awesome! I have felt very welcomed and loved
My new companion is named Sister Lavea. She is a really cool mix of Tongan, Samoan, and Caucasian. She actually speaks Tongan!!! She grew up in Utah too so she's like a sweet bilingual. So hopefully I'm going to see if I can pick some of that up too. I'm a sucker for a bit of language learning....

Since coming here I have gotten to have some really cool experiences. First, we are teaching a really nice Korean man and so I got to pick up some basic words in Korean. We are going to teach him more English and I'm so excited! 

I truly feel like God has given me a tender mercy to come here. I'm excited to see how hard I can work and how much we can get everything to move. 
Well, I think that's all for now!
Love,
Sister Short

  Thought for the day comes from a talk by Elder W. Craig Zwick titled, "What are you thinking?'  In Ephesians 4:29 it says, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but (only) that which is good (and) edifying, that I may minister grace unto the hearers".  Solomon counsels in Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger".  A "soft answer" consists of a reasoned response - disciplined words from a humble heart.  It does not mean we never speak directly or that we compromise doctrinal truth.  Words that may be firm in information can be soft in spirit.  The willingness to see through each other's eyes will transform "corrupt communication" into "ministering grace."  The Apostle Paul understood this, and on some level each of us can experience it too.  It may not change or solve the problem, but the more important possibility may be whether ministering grace could change us.

No comments:

Post a Comment