Sunday, September 28, 2014

Letter 9/28/14


Dear Blogger Peoples,
You know, those of you with my email can write me questions and I'll answer on the blog if you want. I feel like I never know what exactly to say so it would help me!

So, lets see...news.....well for one; CONFERENCE IS COMING UP!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED--AREN'T YOU?!?!?!?!?!? It's going to be this Saturday and Sunday from....well here in Arkansas its from 11-1 and 3-5 :) you can get local times from LDS.org and watch it there live! 

So here's something I've learned really clearly about on my mission--every opportunity in the Gospel is what you make of it! So, if conference is less of a wonderful experience than you want it to be then lets MAKE something more of it on our end shall we? I mean, we are hearing from INSPIRED MEN, called of GOD, including the PROPHET OF THE LORD. That's AMAZING! That's like getting to hear from MOSES or NOAH or JOHN THE BELOVED! But in all seriousness it's even more than that. We know that Prophets are mouthpieces for the Lord. So, really, the things said will be the things that Jesus Christ would want us to know. Basically it's the things He would say.
So, here's a few questions for you to consider to yourself:
How do I prepare for this?
Some suggestions? :) How about getting plenty of sleep the night before? :) Having plenty of food/snacks? Taking a bathroom break beforehand? Making sure your viewing experience (TV, internet, the church building...) is all set up and your timing is right?

But more importantly, are we preparing spiritually for this experience will determine what you take from it. This question may be one to consider prayerfully over the next week:
If I were going to get to speak with God, and ask him anything I wanted, what would I ask?
The invitation is this--over the next week, write down questions you want answers to. These questions can be broad such as "how can I draw nearer to you?" or "what do you want me to know/do?", situation specific such as "what should my major be?" or "how can I help fix ________problem?", or specific to gospel concepts like "How can I improve my scripture study?" or "How can I understand the atonement more?".

 I would specifically invite you all to ask for confirmations on spiritual truths which you would like to know the truth of yourself. As YOU pray for help with questions (for answers and to ask for help on what to ask), diligently study the scriptures (looking for answers and help), and do all other things you feel you should (perhaps fast? read other conference talks?), you will receive a much more spiritual experience at conference. Conference will be a spiritual feast instead of pajama church. It will be a testimony strengthening experience. Please take this chance! It's beautiful!
Love,
Sister Short

 Thought for the Day comes from the Ensign. V.T. message on "The Divine Mission of Jesus Christ: Comforter."  Because Christ suffered the Atonement for each of us, He will not forget us.  "Our Savior has taken upon Himself..... our pains and our suffering and afflictions so that He can know what we feel and how to comfort us."  
     "In visiting teaching we reach out to each other.  Hands often speak as voices can't.  A warm embrace conveys volumes.  A laugh together unites us.  A moment of sharing refreshes our souls.  We cannot always lift the burden of one who is troubled, but we can lift her so she can bear it well."  By Sister Elaine L. Jack - 12th R.S. general president.  
     "Our knowledge of the gospel and our love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior will comfort and sustain us and bring joy to our heart as we walk uprightly and keep the commandments.  There will be nothing in this world that can defeat us."  President Thomas S. Monson.

No comments:

Post a Comment