Monday, November 24, 2014

Letter 11/23/14

Dear Everybody,
Well here's the update on me--I'm in Pawhuska, OK! :) It's Osage Nation land (my memory failed me and I thought it was Creek...oops). This new area has a really slow feel to it--small town sleepy. BUT it has such great potential! The members are fantastic and there's just this feeling that there's been so much preparation done by the Lord here. I really REALLY want to see it get moving great! I'll have to send pics soon. Most the buildings here are falling apart and crumbly--I LOVE it! I could spend weeks here taking pictures of all the textures and be happy :) But no time for that now--missionary work is way more awesome!

My new companion is named Sister Booms and she is GREAT. She is super happy and bubbly and really sees the potential of this area. She's got WONDERFUL ideas and a lot of love for the area. The funny thing about Sister Booms and I? We are super similar personality wise! It's super funny to be able to be on almost the same wave-length! 

Funny story of the week--so when I got here there was no ride to take us back to Bartlesville so we could drive to Pawhuska. Luckily the Bartlesville 2nd Sisters were there and offered to fit us. The Problem? it was in a little 5 seater car...so we got creative. We crammed 2 big suitcases in the back, a pillow, and 2 carry-ons. Problem numero two? We had 2 more suitcases, some purses, a box, and a guitar left. But lest you think this was a major problem let me assure you Emily (our driver who I know from when I was in Bartlesville) is a pack-master. So a few purses on the floor, 3 sisters in back, 2 heavier-than-we-anticipated suitcases over our laps, and, to top it off, a guitar on top of those suitcases (the box fitting nicely on the lap of the passenger-seat-Sister's lap) and off we went! I have never been so sardined in my life--it was completely awesome! I quickly learned how to keep the guitar away from my face. Ha ha it was SO fun! ADVENTURE!

To share my amazing Mom's thought:
Thought for the day is from the book called "Filled with Mercy"  (daily reflections on the atonement).  "Every attempt to reflect upon the Atonement, to study it, to embrace it, to express appreciation for it, however small or feeble it may be, will kindle the fires of faith and work its miracle towards a more Christlike life.  It is an inescapable consequence of so doing.  We become like those things we habitually love and admire.  And thus, as we study Christ's life and live his teachings, we become more like him." 

My mom picked a great one. I dearly hope that each of us will take some time to  reflect, study, embrace, and express our appreciation for the atonement. The atonement is the center of it all. 

Love, 

Sister Short

No comments:

Post a Comment